Friday, January 6, 2012

January 6 - Nicknames

There are so many shortenings to the name Christy - Chris, Chrissy, Sissy and the list could go on and on. Honestly I abhor (is that a strong enough word?) all of those nick names - call me Christy - or at least get creative with something else!  We have a family friend who for the life of me can't get my name correct - it's always "Chrissy" on E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G. and it annoys the heck out of me. Whenever we get anything in the mail from this person I give it to my husband and tell him that Brian and "Chrissy" got something in the mail today. We also joke that "Chrissy" is my evil twin ;)



When I was little my mom (and sometimes my family) would call me "Chris." One day I got it into my head that "Chris" was a boys name and I didn't want to be called anything except "Christy" - and I would throw a  fit if anyone called me Chris. My brothers & sisters eventually stopped calling me by that name, but my mom never did :) And I didn't mind too much when she would call me Chris - even though I pretended like it was the WORST thing she could ever do.

Fast forward a few years - I was in high school and alot of my friends had nick names and I so badly wanted one besides "goodie" - My friend Adam started calling me "Grace" because I fell alot... (I called him petunia, and you'll have to ask him why ;)) That nick name didn't stick - and thankfully after college I've learned to walk just a little better  ;)

Fast forward a few more years - after college I moved close to St. Louis and started working at a church. The pastors son was teeny tiny when I moved there but we quickly became fast friends and since he couldn't say "Christy" he would say "Kiki" and it's stuck - it is seriously one of my FAVORITE nick names I've ever been given - and it's special to just their family - each time I hear it I get warm fuzzies :)

So what's your nick name - how did you get it? Do you like it?

1 comment:

  1. Haha, that's awesome! My brothers used to call me Twan, or Twana - no idea where they got it, but I still have childhood friends who call me that and I despise! Another good friend called me Annabug, I didn't mind that one so much.

    ReplyDelete